Chartering is a legal process which allows faculty to verify the financial status, business and legal documentation for each group operating in the name of 4-H. All Texas 4-H clubs/groups must charter to receive permission to operate and use the name/emblem of 4-H and be recognized as an Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) not-for-profit group under the umbrella of Texas 4-H, Inc.
A charter allows a group to function with all the rights and privileges of 4-H membership. Once officially chartered, the county office can download a letter from 4-H Connect with the club name to validate their charter recognition. If the club/group is its own IRS recognized 501(c)(3) organization, they must file separately with the IRS on an annual basis, but still must be chartered as a Texas 4-H club/group for recognition.
Clubs or groups who are not chartered are not allowed to use the 4-H name and emblem and are NOT considered a 501(c)(3) organization, therefore required to pay income tax annually. A chartered 4-H club/group under Texas 4-H, Inc. is provided the following benefits:
- Use of the 4-H name and emblem,
- General Liability Insurance for facilities and meetings,
- Accident/Incident Insurance for ACTIVE 4-H youth and volunteers during 4-H sponsored meetings, activities and contests
- IRS recognition as an entity under a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Important Texas 4-H documents
- NEW! 2020-2021 Charter Instructions | Process & Timeline
- NEW! 2020-2021 Charter Documents: Agreement | Financial Review | Disbandment | MOU
- 2020-2021 Charter Bylaws: Sample Bylaws | Bylaw Requirements
- 2020-2021 Charter 4HConnect Handouts: Worksheet | Instructions
- 2019-2020 Financial Management Guide
- 2019-2020 Project List
- 2019-2020 Rules and Guidelines
- 2019-2020 Texas 4-H Clover
The Grayson County 4-H program is request for all returning, new, and non-returning 4-H clubs to complete the form below. All required documents must be submitted to the 4-H Office by May 15, 2020. If you have questions about the charter process, contact Dr. Tamra McGaughy at email@example.com or call 214-529-3190.