If you eat it, use it, or wear it, then you have been impacted by the agricultural industry. Texas 4-H members explore all areas of the industry as they learn about animal husbandry, livestock selection, health, and care. Youth in 3rd grade, who are age 8 by September 1st can begin showing livestock in Texas 4-H.
As 4-H members progress in their livestock project, they can venture out to show their animal at various livestock shows. Texas 4-H requires validation for most animal species. In addition, all 4-H members participating in the showing aspect of the livestock project are required to complete the Texas 4-H/FFA Quality Counts training prior to entering a show. Once a 4-H member takes possession and ownership of a livestock project, they must continuously own and personally feed and care for their animal(s) throughout the entire feeding period. The feeding period begins with the species validation date through exhibition at all shows.
Showing in Grayson County through Texas 4-H
4-H members are able to show livestock throughout the year. There are a variety of opportunities for youth to exhibit at the local, state, and national level. In addition to showing large livestock species such as beef, goats, lambs, and swine; members can also show rabbits and poultry. In order for youth to participate in junior livestock shows as a 4-H member, they need to join a local 4-H Club within the county they reside. Learn more about 4-H Clubs in Grayson County.
- Texoma Exposition and Livestock Show – held at the end of February/beginning of March each year. This show is open to 4-H and FFA members in Grayson County.
- Fur, Feather, and Friends Show – held in December each year. This show is open to youth throughout Texas who are interested in dairy goats, poultry, and rabbits.
In addition to the local show, 4-H members can choose to participate in Major Livestock Shows:
- State Fair of Texas
- Heart of Texas Fair and Rodeo
- Fort Worth Livestock Show and Exposition
- San Angelo Livestock Show
- San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
4-H members are also eligible to participate in various Jackpot Shows, which are hosted by various organizations through the year. This type of livestock show can assist the exhibitor in seeing how their project is progressing during the show season.
Quality Counts Training
4-H members are required to take the Quality Counts training three times in their career, once as a junior member (3rd to 5th grade), as an intermediate member (6th to 8th grade) and as a senior member (9th to 12th grade). At the completion of the training members receive a Quality County Number which is attached with all county and Major Show entry forms. The County Extension Agent can only submit forms for 4-H members who have a valid QC#.
Ordering Validation Tags for Livestock Projects
Livestock Project validation tags are ordered twice a year for market and breeding goats, lambs, swine, and heifers. Market steers tags are order ONLY with spring validation.
|Species||Is Validation Required?||Tag orders for State Fair||Physical Validation||Ownership shown on breeding papers||Tag orders for Spring Majors/ County Show||Physical Validation||Ownership shown on breeding papers|
|Beef Cattle: Heifers||Yes - Major Shows||March 25th||June||June 30th or before||August 25th||October||November 1st or before|
|Beef Cattle: Steers||Yes- Major Shows and County Show||March 25th||June - All Major Shows||October - County Projects Only|
|Sheep: Breeding/ Commerical||Yes - Major Shows||March 25th||June - Tags are good for 3 years||June 30th or before||August 25th||October - Tags are good for 3 years||October 1st of before|
|Sheep: Market||Yes - Major Shows and County||March 25th||June||August 25th||October|
|Goats: Breeding/ Commerical||Yes - Major Shows and County||March 25th||June - Tags are good for 3 years||June 30th or before||August 25th||October - Tags are good for 3 years||October 1st of before|
|Goats: Market||Yes - Major Shows and County||March 25th||June||August 25th||October|
|Swine: Breeding||Yes - Major Shows||April 15th||June||June 30th or before||September 15th||November||November 30th of before|
|Swine: Market||Yes - Major Shows and County||April 15th||June||September 15th||November|
- Spring Validation tag orders must be submitted by March 25th, which includes ALL Major Show steers and animals being shown at the State Fair of Texas and Heart of Texas Fair and Rodeo
- Fall Validation tag orders must be submitted by August 25th, which includes ALL County Show Animals and animals being shown at the Fort Worth Livestock Show and Rodeo, San Angelo Livestock Show, Rodeo Austin, San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo, and Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
Physical Validation Times Frames
(A parent and the 4-H member must be present with the animal being validated.)
- Texas 4-H Dog Validation – Completed on Texas 4-H Online by January 10th (No physical validation, upload pictures of the project)
- Texas 4-H Horse Validation – Completed on Texas 4-H Online by May 1st (No physical validation, upload pictures of the project)
- Spring Major Show Validation – Last week of June, includes ALL Major Show steers and market animals being shown at the State Fair of Texas and Heart of Texas Fair and Rodeo
- Fall Major Show and County Validation – Last week of October, includes ALL Texoma Exposition and Livestock Show animals and livestock projects being shown at the Fort Worth Exposition and Livestock Show, San Angelo Livestock Show, Rodeo Austin, San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo, and Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- Fall Major Show Swine – Last week of November
- County Show Swine – First week in December